Monday, April 19, 2010

Background on the "This Week In" controversy

For background on the mini-controversy over This Week In, someone pointed me to this transcript from TWIT 237. 

The bottom line is a I asked for Leo's blessing and he gave it to me.

I'm now $150,000 in the hole on the ThisWeekIn.com website and my hope is to build a DIRECTORY of all the TWI shows in the world, of which our 15-30 will be but 10%. 

all is good in the world folks... let's not make too much of a big deal out of this.

best j

The TWIT 237 transcript
http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TWiT_237/Transcript

Leo Laporte Utah.

Jason Calacanis Utah.

Leo Laporte Prisoners. Jason Calacanis does a host of shows now. He is the king of This Week in..., you now officially take the title. In fact you have thisweekin.com, right?

Jason Calacanis I got the clearance from the godfather. You gave me clearance to buy it, I bought it. And I hope to build a couple of shows and everybody is like, ‘Leo must hate you.’

Leo Laporte No, no, no, no.

Jason Calacanis ‘How did you do this to Leo?’ And I’m like, listen I asked for permission. I genuflected and I said, listen godfather I would like to…

Leo Laporte I couldn’t stop you, Mel Allen, ask Mel Allen; he’s the guy who owns This Week in Baseball. It’s the generic, but I’m thrilled that you do it and I am glad you’re doing it. You do This Week in Startups.

Jason Calacanis Yeah, and it’s doing great and we do This Week in Cloud Computing and that’s got sponsors.

Leo Laporte And you’re doing a This Week in Android apps, right?

Jason Calacanis And This Week in Android, yes. So it is going to do like niche one that you don’t get to, and, as you know, I actually even clear with you like, ‘Hey I’m thinking of doing these ones are you going to do them?’ So I am basically like I respect what you have done in the space enough that I don’t want to step in your toes.

Leo Laporte And there’s plenty of room, believe me. I need more people succeeding in this because I don’t want to be the only guy out here doing it.

Jason Calacanis What’s happening is it’s very much like Weblogs, Inc. We have all these blog stories building on each other. I get one sponsor, then they buy yours, and you know I forward sponsored onto you all the time. We are educating them on this new medium.

Leo Laporte Exactly.

Jason Calacanis Like, it’s worth sponsoring and...

Leo Laporte It’s early enough that there’s no competition going on.

Jason Calacanis There’s no competition right now. In another two years, it’s on.

Leo Laporte Yeah, I am going to kill you. I am going to kill you, Jason. Yer outta here!

Jason Calacanis [ph] The swords (79:33) are coming out.

Leo Laporte Yer outta here! Jason Calacanis...

Brett Larson The garbage man’s coming to take you out!

Leo Laporte And the garbage man – if you find a horse head in your bed Jason, you’ll know where. Actually…

Brett Larson The snow clean up begins tomorrow. Leave anything you don’t need in the drift.

Jason Calacanis Actually this is my prediction. I predict that there’ll be three or four networks like This Week in and Leo’s and they’ll all wind up merging and be like this mega company.

Leo Laporte Yeah. I don’t want to run it

Jason Calacanis [ph] Adam Ferry’s (80:01) doing interesting stuff. No, I just think it’s going to be an exit for everybody because somebody will come and say hey let’s put five of these things together and get scale. You have five things making a million or two million dollars each. Put them together, all of a sudden you’ve got scale.

Leo Laporte Great idea.

Dwight Silverman And then you get rid of everybody.

Leo Laporte Yeah, that’s all right; by then I’m old, I want to be on the beach anyway. Mahalo.com is Jason’s human-powered website that has great information on it. Dwight Silverman is at the Tech Blog at blogs.chron.com/techblog and you could read his stuff there, including his weekly linkroll which Dwight I had to confess gives me the backbone of the newscasts for the whole week.

Dwight Silverman Well I have a great time doing it. I think that I missed a link post yesterday because I was helping with our earthquake/tsunami coverage, and I felt horribly guilty and I thought of you Leo, I thought I’ve let Leo down…

Leo Laporte Yeah you have let me down. I don’t have any stories from Friday.

Dwight Silverman But we had good coverage from the tsunami and earthquake. So…

Jason on Twitter Mahalo.com This Week in Startups

No comments:

Post a Comment