Thursday, October 7, 2010

Email I sent to Zuckerberg & Sheryl over "FORCE JOIN" Groups on Facebook

This company is trusted with 500 people's data (and growing)?

Really?

Wow.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jason Calacanis
Date: Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 2:58 AM
Subject: You might want to fix this.
To: zuck@facebook.com, Sheryl Sandberg


Team Facebook,

Seems as if anyone can add anyone to a Facebook Group.

There is no "opt in."

In this case someone added Mike Arrington and I to the "NABLA" group
on Facebook. I know I'm not a member of NAMBLA, and I'm going to guess
that Mike isn't either.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_162298770463078&ap=1

I've now been assigned to a group that advocates... well.... ummm....
you can look it up--it's very bad.

Also troubling:

1. I was never asked to join the NABLA group
2. I was never informed that I was "force-joined" to the NABLA group.

If you guys want to run these new features by me before you launch
them, I can probably save you from a couple of privacy law suits each
year. :-)

best regards,

Jason

ps - Nice job on the .ZIP export.
---------------------
Jason McCabe Calacanis
CEO, Mahalo

My thoughts and ideas: www.jasonnation.com

Angel Investor: Blippy, GDGT, Backupify, Postabon, Rapportive,
Gowalla, ChallengePost, Chartbeat, Tweetup, Jibe, SmartyPants,
StorkBrokers, Thumbtack, CauseCast and three stealth companies.

Jason on Twitter Mahalo.com This Week in Startups

No comments:

Post a Comment